Friday, August 28, 2009

Betta' Bruschetta


I'd say bruschetta is a pretty good way to kick-start the weekend. This recipe includes creamy goat cheese and heirloom tomatoes, which I find to be so quirkily charming. And so begins my farewell to summer food.

Goat Cheese Bruschetta
Recipe courtesy of Curtis Stone

12 4-inch-long baguette slices (each about 1/3-inch-thick)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces ripe red heirloom tomatoes, coarsely diced
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (preferably aged)
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
6 ounces fresh goat cheese

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a heavy baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over the bread slices and season with salt and pepper. Toast in the oven until they are slightly golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.

Toss the tomatoes, shallots, vinegar, basil, garlic, and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the goat cheese over the toasted bread and top with tomato mixture. Drizzle the accumulated juices from the tomato mixture over the toasts and serve.

12 comments:

  1. you are so right there is nothing that says summer like a tangy sweet tomato...i'm doing a golden tomato gazpacho shooter with crab for tonite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love goats cheese. Cant wait until summer is in full swing so I can make lovely recipes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I've never made bruschetta but it's on my list of things I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm... this looks great! It might just be the appetizer I was looking for to start off my Pre-Fall Bash! I am sure my guests and their taste-buds will be thanking you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! Don't those look delicious?! I quite agree regarding the quirky charm of heirlooms. They are such fun tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that looks yummy!! I love Bruschetta!! I might have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omigosh I must make this... already put the ingredients on my shopping list!!! **thanks for stopping by my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, i am not kidding i might try this tonight... it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE bruschetta! this is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh YUMMM!! i'll definitely be trying this one asap. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bruschetta looks good! A nice way to enjoy some of those heirloom tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips