Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Frocktails: Sweet and Simple


I'm never one to turn down a glass of sweet tea. I grew up drinking it, and the taste will always remind me of home, family and meals around the dinner table. This spiked sweet tea is a grownup variation with the same charm and refreshing appeal. The touch of bourbon adds depth of flavor, and the lemon and mint cut through some of the sweetness.

As for the dress, I went searching for an in-between seasons sort of outfit, and I found this cute design from Ruche. I love the plaid pattern and the pleats, and while the colors are perfect for fall, the cut still works in warm weather.

Spiked Sweet Tea

16 oz. cold sweet tea
4 oz. bourbon (or more if you prefer)
1/2 oz. lemon juice
6 torn mint leaves

Use your tried and true sweet tea recipe. To make a half gallon, I bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add 6 tea bags (Lipton and Luzianne are generally what you find in southern households). Steep for 4 minutes, remove tea bags and pour tea into pitcher. Add 3/4 cup of sugar while the tea is still hot, stir until dissolved and add four more cups of water. Refrigerate until cold.

Muddle bourbon, lemon juice and mint leaves and combine with 16 oz. of cold sweet tea. Pour over ice and garnish with mint and a slice of lemon. Serves 2.

Dress found here. Belt found here. Mason jar cocktail shaker found here. Frocktails is a monthly feature for fashion and libation inspiration. See past pairings.

7 comments:

  1. that dress is gorgeous! and i love some sweet tea, i will definitely be trying this out.

    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bourbon always seems like a cool-weather liquor to me. This is the perfect summer-into-fall cocktail. I know what I'm drinking this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started making sweet tea because I have some left over tea bags. It is so GOOOOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Southern girl through and through - in California, when I get desperate sometimes, I just go through the McDonald's drive-thru for some sweet tea - will be trying your version soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips